My reading today is smack dab in the middle of Psalm 106. This part of the Psalm – verses 13 and forward – talks about how Israel turned away from God.
It’s interesting to read the attitudes and actions that contributed to their turn. So, I’ll list them:
- They soon forgot His works (the parting of the Red Sea, etc.) vs. 13
- They did not wait for Him, but instead gave into their cravings (vs. 14)
- He gave them what they asked for! (vs. 15)
- They were jealous of their leaders (vs. 16)
- They worshipped another idol – the golden calf (vs. 20)
- They forgot God, their Savior – and how He did amazing things to save them (vs. 21)
- They “despised” the Promised Land – were afraid to enter it. They didn’t trust God’s promises (vs. 24)
- They murmured against God (vs. 25)
- They did not obey the Lord (vs. 25)
- They “yoked” themselves to another God: Baal (vs. 28)
- They ate sacrifices offered to the dead (vs. 28)
I would definitely say that I’ve been guilty of some of these things:
- Forgetting God’s salvation and amazing works on my behalf
- Rushing ahead of God to get what I want (my “cravings”). And sometimes I get what I want when it’s not good for me.
- Not respecting spiritual leaders
- Putting things above God in my affections (idolatry)
- Not trusting God’s promises
- I’ve complained – not in a nasty way, but I have argued with God
Thank God that He has never turned away from me!!
Dear Lord: Help me pay close attention to things I might do to subtly turn away from You. Amen.