As I began to read Psalm 103 today, the sounds of Godspell came to mind. For those of you WAY too young to know about Godspell, it was a 70s musical based on the Gospel of Matthew.
Here’s the movie version of “Oh, Bless the Lord My Soul” based on Psalm 103.
The Psalm lists many reasons for my soul to bless the Lord. I kept underlining God’s “benefits” (vs. 2) as I read it through. The following reasons touched my heart the most:
- He redeems my life from the pit (vs. 4)
- He crowns me with steadfast love and mercy (vs. 4)
- He satisfies me – so that my youth is renewed (vs. 5)
- He is merciful and gracious, slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love towards me (see my blog on Jesus’ grace and truth) (vs. 8)
- He does not deal with me as my sins deserve (vs. 10)
- As high as the heavens are above the earth, so great is His steadfast love toward me! (vs. 11)
- He shows compassion towards me like a father (vs. 13)
- He knows how weak and needy I am (vs. 14)
- He has established His throne in the heavens, and His kingdom rules over all (vs. 19)
Dear Lord: Help me to remember these benefits, so that I am encouraged by them and continue to bless You – “and all that is within me, bless Your holy name!” Amen