I think it’s so interesting that as I head in my readings toward a wonderful description of the New Jerusalem at the end of Revelation, the OT prophets are talking about the Messiah and the restoration of Jerusalem!
The chapter includes 10 fantastic blessings of this Jerusalem starting with “This is what the Lord says.” Restored Jerusalem will be:
- Loved by God who is jealous for His people (vs. 1-2)
- Called the City of Truth and the Holy Mountain (vs. 3)
- Filled with old men and women alongside playing children (vs. 4-5)
- Populated by God’s returned people – He will be their faithful God (vs. 7-9)
- Safe – where people can work together, not under fear of God’s punishment (vs. 10-11)
- A blessing where crops will be planted in peace, grow in rain, and have good harvests (vs. 12-13)
- A place of justice and truth between people, that receives God’s good (a new thing), not His wrath (vs. 14-17)
- Filled with joyful feasts where truth and peace reign (vs. 18-19)
- An attraction for many nations who will come to pray and worship God (vs. 20-22)
- The place where God is with men – so people from 10 nations (10 means every) will seek Him through His people (vs. 23)
Sure sounds to me like what the church should be. And for sure what the New Jerusalem WILL be.
And it all starts with Zechariah 9: 9-10:
Rejoice greatly, O daughter of Zion!
Shout aloud, O daughter of Jerusalem!
Behold, your king is coming to you;
righteous and having salvation is he,
humble and mounted on a donkey,
on a colt, the foal of a donkey.
(Zechariah 9:9 ESV)
I’m liking this last part of the Old Testament. For sure. Good news!!
Today’s Passages: Zechariah 7:1-9:17, Psalm 148: 7-14, Proverbs 30: 29-31, Revelation 18:1-24. See About for what I’m up to with these daily posts. Your daily blogger, Holiday Longing (Reproduce with permission only)