I’m sort of amazed – well at least interested – by the fact that I can have studied a passage in a Bible study or read some book about the passage or at least read the passage a few times – and still find something in there that I never saw before.
So tonight as I read what the Apostle John said in 1 John 2, I noticed a list of things that people who know God do and have – and people who don’t know God do not do nor have.
It’s sort of a check list. It asks the reader the question, “Are you really a Christian? If so, here’s what you should be doing. And if you aren’t doing these things, well….”
You get the point.
So, without further ado, here’s the list.
People who claim know God:
- Obey God’s commands (vs. 3)
- Have the truth in them (vs. 4)
- Have God’s love completed in them – through their obedience (vs. 5)
- Live as Jesus lived (vs. 6)
- Love their brothers and sisters in Christ (vs. 10), therefore
- Live in the light (vs. 10), and
- Do not cause anyone to stumble in the faith (vs. 11)
- Do not love the world or the things of the world (vs. 15)
- Have the love of the Father in them (vs. 15)
- Are not proud of what they have (vs. 16)
- Live forever and do what God wants (vs. 17)
- Stay within the fellowship of Christians (vs. 19)
- Know all truth because of God’s gift (vs. 20)
- Accept Jesus as the Messiah, the Christ (vs. 22)
- Accept the Father and the Son (vs. 22)
- Confess the Son and therefore have the Father (vs. 23)
- Continue to follow the teaching they heard from the beginning (vs. 24)
- Have life forever (vs. 25)
- Live in Christ as the Holy Spirit teaches (vs. 27)
- Will not live in fear nor be ashamed at Christ’s presence because they live in Him (vs. 28)
- Do right because Christ is righteous (vs. 29)
Wow. That’s some list.
Good passage for pondering!
Today’s Readings: Daniel 11:1 – 12:13, Psalm 138:1-3, Proverbs 29:16, 1 John 2:1-29. See About for what I’m up to with these daily posts. Your daily blogger, Holiday Longing (Reproduce with permission only).