Isn’t it amazing that so many people celebrate the birth of Jesus, yet reject Jesus himself? How weird is that? Even those who accept Jesus might unwittingly reject the Jesus of the Bible:
· The Jesus of the Bible was born in a stable, not a 6 BR house with 3.5 baths
· The Jesus of the Bible rode to his last supper on a donkey, not in a stretch SUV limo.
· The Jesus of the Bible had no beauty that we should look upon Him, not an Extreme Makeover.
· The Jesus of the Bible hung out with the publicans and sinners in a bar, not with the religiously right nor the politically correct in a ballroom.
· The Jesus of the Bible said “get behind me, Satan” to one of his best friends, not “Smile. Jesus loves you.”
· The Jesus of the Bible said “My burden is easy and my yoke is light; Take my yoke upon you,” not “You’d better be good; I’m telling you why.”
· The Jesus of the Bible said, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father, but by me,” not “there are many paths to god.”
· The Jesus of the Bible — for the joy set before Him — endured the cross, suffered the shame, and now sits at the right hand of God the Father. He is the Word that was with God in the beginning. He is the Word that is God. In Him and through Him and for Him, all things were made.
What a travesty that you and I should take Him so lightly during the season. What treason.
Oh, Lord, in love you helped the adultress to her feet – after you sent away those who would stone her. Then you said “Your sins are forgiven. Go and sin no more.” Please do the same for me. I commit treason when I take my pain so heavily and your love so lightly. Help me to sin no more, too. Amen
[Previously posted a year ago when this was a fledging blog. Reposted with minor edits.]